scratches


I am sad. Upset like spilled wine on white, 
like a stomach doing laps. Sad 
like an old lady left standing on a tram, 
sad like a child with a sweet smile 
who will never learn to use it. 
Sad like an empty shell, like the people 
who die alone. I am sad like 
Sarah Kane and my mother 
at their darkest thoughts. 

I write poems that astound people 
but it's nothing to celebrate because I have only 
ever done that when I felt the way I do. Undressed 
and naked from the happiness I genuinely feel,
left staring at whatever is left over. 
And everybody else is staring at it too, 
unsure of what to do with it, 
like a fish out of water flapping in their palms. 
Everybody knows, and I still 
don't know why I am typing laughter 
at every sentences in conversations 
- like it makes a difference.

I am sad because I have no reason to be. 
I am sad and I feel like I am imposing it, 
and I feel guilty because of this, 
so I get even more upset.
So I remain sad. 
Sad like the way he looks at me 
like I have shadows in my eyes, like the way 
they try to place a contagious smile back on 
my lips because my mind is
overworked and out on display. I am sad because 
I do not know when little things like buses and 
light banter and the lack of skins 
for my tobacco started getting to me and I
don't know which junction to take myself away from this. 
Sad because I don't know when the left overs of myself
began to matter more than my entire being.
Down like a basement tenants 
never use, like the bottom of a mountain,
the centre of a cave. 

It is obvious. 

What isn't obvious, is that 
I am happy. Despite all that, I am happy 
like the sun, like the father 
and son having lunch together, like
stumbling upon a sentiment you once 
thought you'd lost. Happy because 
I have somebody to wake up to, to
love and to comfort. Happy because I can 
still feel like I am alive. Happy because 
I am alive.

My mind is at its darkest but 
my soul is still light - where do I go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment